Wishing tonight’s dinner was straightforward, cheap, and fairly tough to mess up? Bonus factors if it’s wholesome too? Time to make Baked Hen Thighs!
Whereas boneless skinless rooster breast would possibly occupy the default setting in your grocery buying method (individuals not often complain about juicy Grilled Hen Breast), it’s properly value choosing up a pack of bone-in, skin-on rooster thighs every so often as an alternative.
Why I Love Hen Thighs
- Darkish rooster thigh meat is juicier and much much less liable to drying out than white breast meat.
- Whereas many assume chicken is more healthy, that is hardly the case. Hen thighs are filled with diet. In comparison with chicken, darkish meat has extra iron, zinc, vitamin B-12, thiamine, and different vitamins too. Carry on the rooster thigh recipes!
- Sure, darkish meat has extra fats than white, however it’s nonetheless a really lean, wholesome protein.
- Bone-in rooster has extra taste and is juicier than boneless rooster as a result of the bone flavors the meat from the within and helps retain moisture (it’s why you’ll be able to skip brining when making Baked Bone-In Hen Breast, however it’s vital for juicy boneless Grilled Hen Breast or Air Fryer Hen Breast).
- It’s a discount! Per pound, darkish meat is cheaper than chicken, and bone-in rooster is cheaper than boneless.
5 Star Evaluation
“Adopted to a tee and it was completely scrumptious!!! Served some mashed candy potatoes on the facet!! Love your recipes!!”
— Kara —
Quaint baked rooster thighs are equally as make-ahead pleasant as they’re last-minute wholesome dinner materials. (Although for the quickest technique for making ready rooster, strive Pan Fried Hen Breast.)
- I like to recommend 60 minutes of marinade time, however you’ll be able to cut back it to half-hour for those who want a shortcut.
- On the alternative facet of the timeline, you’ll be able to utterly prep them the evening earlier than and pop them into the oven when it’s time for supper.
- You possibly can bake rooster thighs with nearly any vary of seasonings.
As we speak, I’m supplying you with my greatest 5-star rooster thigh recipe for the oven with dried Italian herbs, garlic, and lemon, all of which should be commonplace kitchen materials.
When you’ve got recent herbs, by all means, please use them.
If not, you’ll nonetheless whip up a tasty baked rooster thighs recipe of which you’ll be able to be proud.
The Greatest Baked Hen Thighs
My particular trick for this recipe is to thinly slice an onion and scatter it across the rooster thighs.
The slices break down and mingle with the schmaltzy rooster cooking fats to create probably the most marvelous, jammy onions which might be divine served on high.
How you can Bake Juicy Hen Thighs
What temp ought to rooster thighs be baked at? I discover it greatest to bake rooster thigh recipes like this one at a excessive temperature—425 levels F.
- Since rooster thighs are lean, they don’t profit from low, sluggish cooking the best way more durable, extra marbled cuts like Sluggish Cooker Pulled Pork do. A shorter cook dinner time with excessive warmth is the transfer.
- If wanted, you’ll be able to alter the oven temperature right down to as little as 400 levels F to accommodate different dishes—say you’re cooking the rooster thighs within the oven similtaneously a pan of Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Oven Roasted Potatoes, or Roasted Butternut Squash. Merely prolong the cooking time by a couple of minutes (or go for 415 levels F—proper in between).
- Hen Thighs. Flavorful and succulent, rooster thighs are a implausible, wholesome ingredient (particularly on this Hen Cacciatore). I used bone-in, skin-on rooster thighs, that are wholesome, inexpensive, and practically not possible to mess up.
- Italian Marinade. A combination of olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning (which incorporates oregano, basil, marjoram, and extra), dried rosemary, salt, pepper, and lemon. It imparts mild and brilliant Italian taste onto the rooster and helps make it additional juicy (this Hen Marinade would even be an incredible one to strive).
- Onion. As soon as roasted, the onions turn out to be deliciously caramelized and candy. They make these baked rooster thighs really feel additional particular and elevated.
- Vinegar. A small however impactful addition that makes the flavour of the onions pop. Both sherry vinegar or crimson wine vinegar will work right here.
- Contemporary Herbs. Contemporary parsley, tarragon, or thyme is the proper crowning glory.
- Pat the rooster dry with paper towels and place it in a bowl or ziptop bag. Add the marinade elements to the rooster. Marinate for no less than half-hour or refrigerate for as much as 12 hours.
- Slice the onions and place them in a baking dish.
What to bake rooster thighs in? Whereas a baking sheet will do, I like to make use of a shallow 9×13 baking dish so I can save the entire yummy pan drippings for serving.
- Toss the onions with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Nestle the rooster thighs into the onions pores and skin facet up.
- Bake the rooster thighs at 425 levels F for 25 to 35 minutes, tossing the onions partway by.
Some baked rooster thigh recipes require protecting with foil. This isn’t certainly one of them. When baking rooster thighs with the pores and skin on, leaving them uncovered ensures the pores and skin crisps up (YUM!) and turns completely golden.
- Take away the rooster to a plate, cowl with foil, and let relaxation. Place the baking dish again into the oven and proceed baking the onions.
- Take away the onions from the oven, and stir within the vinegar. If desired, for additional crispy rooster thighs return the rooster to the pan and broil on the higher third rack for crispy pores and skin. ENJOY!
Extra Methods to Season Hen Thighs
Under you’ll discover my go-to Italian baked rooster thighs recipe variation, however this recipe is flexible. Be at liberty to fluctuate the seasonings in response to your craving.
- BBQ Baked Hen Thighs. Season the thighs together with your favourite BBQ spice mix. Bake per the time and temperature instructed within the recipe (with or with out the onions). Serve with Barbecue Sauce.
- Previous Common Hen Thighs. Maintain it easy with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve with Straightforward Drop Biscuits and your favourite gravy.
- Southern Baked Hen Thighs. Season the rooster with a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, seasoned salt, a bit of cayenne, and dried rosemary.
- Curry Baked Hen Thighs. Season the thighs with curry powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and salt. (This variation can be delicious with Turmeric Rice.)
- To Retailer. Place rooster thighs in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze rooster thighs in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 12 hours upfront, dry and marinate the rooster thighs as directed in Step 1. Refrigerate till you’re able to bake.
What to Serve with Baked Hen Thighs
Beneficial Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. This baking dish is right for making baked rooster thighs.
- Measuring Spoons. These double-sided magnetic spoons are extremely straightforward to retailer.
- Citrus Juicer. My go-to device for juicing lemons and limes.
The Greatest Baking Dish
A high-quality baking dish is a must have in each kitchen. This Staub ceramic dish is dishwasher-safe and can be utilized within the microwave or oven.
I hope this recipe is simply the serving to hand (er, thigh) for a lot of of your weeknight rooster recipes to return.
Incessantly Requested Questions
GET ONE. It’s some of the vital instruments in your kitchen. I take advantage of it to test every little thing from meat, to fish, to banana bread for doneness. In the event you insist on residing with out one or are in a panic for dinner tonight, reduce your rooster. The juices ought to run clear.
Not essentially. Hen meat, particularly darkish meat, can look pink even when it’s cooked by. The very best, most secure solution to know in case your rooster is cooked to temperature is to make use of an instant-read thermometer.
In case your rooster thighs are dry, it’s as a result of they’re overcooked. When you can’t return, you’ll be able to cowl your mistake by serving baked rooster thighs in sauce. Strive the honey Dijon mustard sauce from my Pecan Crusted Hen.
In the event you want lean chicken rooster breasts over baked rooster thighs, right here is my recipe for the BEST Baked Hen Breast. You need to use the marinade from this recipe for those who like.
Baked rooster thigh recipes get powerful when both baked too lengthy or once they’re not correctly marinaded earlier than cooking. To keep away from powerful rooster thighs, be sure to tug them once they attain the fitting inside temperature (see the field above for ideas) and ensure to marinate for no less than half-hour (or longer). Marinading rooster helps break down the muscle fibers so the rooster is tender as soon as baked.
- 2 1/4 kilos bone-in, skin-on rooster thighs about 4
- 3 garlic cloves minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper divided
- 2 small or 1 additional giant onion
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar or crimson wine vinegar
- Chopped recent parsley or tarragon or thyme, plus further for serving
Pat the rooster dry and place in a big bowl or giant ziptop bag. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, Italian seasoning, rosemary, lemon zest and juice (zest the lemon proper over the bag or bowl), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss the rooster (or seal the bag and switch to coat). Let sit at room temperature for no less than half-hour and as much as 1 hour or cowl and refrigerate for as much as 12 hours.
When able to bake, preheat the oven to 425 levels F. Thinly slice the onions and place in a 9×13 or equally sized roasting pan or casserole dish.
Drizzle the onions with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat.
Take away the rooster from the marinade and shake off any extra. Clear some areas within the onions for the rooster, then nestle it in.
Bake the rooster thighs for quarter-hour. Take away the pan and toss the onions to advertise even cooking (I take advantage of a fork to stir them round a bit). Return to the oven and bake for 10 to twenty further minutes (that’s 25 to 35 minutes whole), till the interior temperature of the rooster reaches 155 to 160 levels F (rooster is taken into account cooked at 165 levels F, however its temperature will proceed to rise because it rests). In the event you’d wish to brown the rooster pores and skin additional, on the finish of the cooking time, place the pan below the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes (watch intently!).
Take away the rooster to a serving plate. Cowl and let relaxation 10 minutes. Stir the onions within the pan, unfold them into a good layer, then return them to the oven to roast additional whereas the rooster rests. The onions will turn out to be jammy and some would possibly look a bit of crispy.
Take away the onions from the oven, then stir the vinegar into them. If desired, return the rooster to the pan and place below the broiler for crispy pores and skin.
Serve the rooster thighs heat, with onions spooned excessive. Sprinkle with recent herbs.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate rooster thighs in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze rooster thighs in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 605kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 36gFats: 47gSaturated Fats: 11gPolyunsaturated Fats: 9gMonounsaturated Fats: 23gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 213mgPotassium: 588mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 196IUVitamin C: 19mgCalcium: 59mgIron: 2mg
Be part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.