These cassava flour tortillas are the most effective gluten-free and grain-free tortilla recipe. They’re tender, barely chewy, and completely foldable for all of your favorites – tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, wraps – you identify it!
Enjoyable truth – this cassava flour tortilla recipe got here to fruition after chatting with the proprietor of Oka’s Bakery in Canggu, Bali years in the past! It was there that I discovered of the flexibility of cassava flour in baking and cooking (cassava flour is closely utilized in Indonesia). It’s used to make chips, muffins, breads, and naturally, tortillas.
Impressed by my Bali journey, I examined this cassava flour tortilla recipe again and again after I returned residence, till it tasted similar to what I’d loved in Bali! And whereas I is perhaps biased, I feel these do-it-yourself tortillas are higher than any store-bought variations as nicely. They mimic that tender, pliable, chewy texture all of us love, and style totally scrumptious – all because of cassava flour. Bonus, you may make a batch and freeze it for later use (howdy meal prep).
Cassava Flour Tortilla Substances
Other than cassava flour, there’s just a few different components you’ll have to deliver these tortillas to life.
- Cassava Flour: After plenty of testing, I’ve discovered that this flour is the most effective – and closest to what I utilized in Bali. In any other case, your dough is perhaps a bit gritty or sticky.
- Baking Soda: Like with most baked items, simply ¼ teaspoon is required to assist the dough rise.
- Cream of Tartar: It’s utilized in baked items as a leavening agent and provides slightly extra fluff to the tortillas. If you happen to don’t have cream of tartar, you may go away it off. The tortillas will nonetheless end up positive!
- Oil: You should utilize nearly any oil or fats on this recipe. Palm shortening was used within the authentic recipe (as that’s what was utilized in Bali). However you should utilize olive oil, butter, or ghee as nicely.
- Heat Water: Be sure the water you employ is barely heat. It will assist make the kneading course of a lot simpler for the dough to type!
Discover the printable recipe with measurements beneath
How To Make Cassava Flour Tortillas
To make these tortillas, all you want is a big mixing bowl and a non-stick pan or griddle. However to make the method much more environment friendly, I extremely advocate getting this tortilla press. Your tortillas will end up extra evenly sized – in diameter and thickness. In any other case, the remaining is as straightforward as they arrive!
Make the preliminary dough. First, combine the cassava flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Then pour within the oil and knead the dry components for about one minute. Notice that the combination will likely be dry and crumbly!
Finalize the dough. Add heat water into the combo and knead every part collectively for two to three minutes. It is going to be a bit sticky at first, however it is going to slowly thicken because the cassava flour absorbs the moisture.
Roll out the dough. Roll the dough right into a log form and slice it into 6 even items. Then roll every bit right into a ball.
Flatten the dough. If you happen to’re utilizing a tortilla press, be certain that to make use of a bit of parchment paper. And not using a tortilla press, take every ball of dough between two items of parchment paper and roll out into an approximate 6-inch circle.
Prepare dinner them up! Warmth up a non-stick pan and prepare dinner a tortilla on one aspect for one minute. Then flip the tortilla, prepare dinner for a further minute, and switch to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat the method for the remainder of the tortillas.
Use These Cassava Flour Tortillas For…
All of the tacos, wraps, chips, and extra! I personally like to make these anytime I whip up my Mexican recipes – similar to carnitas or hen fajitas. However there’s no unsuitable reply as to how you should utilize them.
Methods To Retailer Cassava Flour Tortillas
One batch makes 6 small tortillas, which is nice for a celebration of two or three. However in case you’ve bought extra individuals, or just need leftovers, make a double batch and freeze the remaining! Right here’s two methods to retailer them.
- To retailer: Place the tortillas in a sealable bag or container within the fridge for as much as 3 to 4 days.
- To freeze: Earlier than storing in a freezer-safe bag or container, be certain that to place parchment paper in between every tortilla to keep away from them sticking to one another. They are going to preserve for as much as 3 months.
Cassava Flour Tortillas Recipe Video
Simply wait, these cassava flour tortillas are going to be your new go-to. Give them a attempt to let me understand how you want them in a remark beneath!
Notice: Not too long ago I’ve been listening to from readers that different manufacturers of cassava flour are gritty, sticky and/or don’t carry out as nicely. I’ve been utilizing Otto’s Cassava Flour for years and I feel within the case of cassava flour, it appears the model actually does make a distinction.
Cassava Flour Tortillas (Gluten-Free Tortillas)
These cassava flour tortillas are the most effective gluten-free and grain-free tortilla recipe. They’re tender, barely chewy, and completely foldable!
Add the cassava flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar to giant bowl and blend collectively.
Add the oil and knead into the dry components for a minute. The combination will likely be dry and crumbly.
Add the nice and cozy water and knead collectively for two to three minutes. At first the dough will likely be moist and sticky, however because the cassava flour absorbs the water it is going to develop into dryer and extra pliable. The feel needs to be much like tender Play-Doh. If it is too sticky, add a bit extra cassava flour. And if it is too dry, add a bit extra water.
When you will have a mound of dough, roll it right into a log form within the bowl (like a tube of cookie dough). Then, slice it into 6 items. Take every bit and roll right into a ball.
In case you have a tortilla press, take every ball of dough, place it between two items of parchment paper and press right into a flat tortilla (this technique is way simpler). And not using a tortilla press, take every ball of dough between two items of parchment paper and roll out into an approximate 6-inch circle.
Warmth a non-stick pan or flat griddle on medium-high warmth. Because the dry pan heats up, place one tortilla within the pan and prepare dinner for about one minute. Flip the tortilla and prepare dinner the opposite aspect for a further minute. Proceed cooking all tortillas and switch to a plate with a paper towel.
Eat instantly or freeze in batches for future use.
- The unique recipe (as seen within the video) was made with palm shortening, as that’s how I discovered to make them in Indonesia, however any oil/fats works.
- I scoop the cassava flour out of its container, which calmly packs it. The burden measurement of the cassava flour is 150g.
- The dough ought to have the feel of soppy playdough. If it’s too sticky, add extra cassava flour. If it’s too dry and crumbly, add extra water. You possibly can see the proper texture within the video above.
- That is my favourite tortillas press and I’ve used it for years.
- I discover it’s best to prepare dinner the tortillas in an enameled forged iron or ceramic non-stick pan.
- To freeze the cassava flour tortillas, allow them to cool, then place parchment paper in-between and place them in a meals storage container within the freezer. Watch my meal prep containers video to see my favourite containers.
Serving: 1tortilla, Energy: 112kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 1g, Fats: 5g, Saturated Fats: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g, Monounsaturated Fats: 3g, Sodium: 145mg, Potassium: 45mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 31mg, Iron: 1mg
©Downshiftology. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Notice: This recipe was initially posted Could 2015, however was up to date to incorporate new images and my new video tutorial.