After I was rising up, holidays like Thanksgiving and Easter have been made extremely particular due to my Dad’s household; that they had the most effective get-togethers which included a large array of meals and I used to be at all times excited to get on my greatest gown and make an look.
Sometimes at these large gatherings stuffed with laughter, you’d discover my aunt cooking each ham and turkey (strive my scrumptious turkey recipe!), creamy mashed potatoes sprinkled with paprika, inexperienced bean casserole, not less than 4 totally different sorts of pies from Baker’s Sq. (strive my french silk pie, cherry or apple!), and naturally, my Dad’s tacky, creamy au gratin potatoes stuffed with layers of thinly sliced potatoes, cheese, onions and a crispy tacky topping. All the time, at all times one in all my favourite issues to go overboard and cargo up on through the holidays!
At this time I’m sharing the recipe impressed by my Dad, who handed away simply over 13 years in the past. He was the most effective cook dinner, and I do know his love of meals must be shared with all of you. I hope you make these — we love them for Thanksgiving dinner and Easter brunch, however they’re additionally good for Sunday dinners with roasted hen or my maple glazed salmon. Pure nostalgic love on this pan of creamy, tacky potatoes.
Every little thing you’ll must make au gratin potatoes
These tacky potatoes au gratin use tremendous easy components and are straightforward to customise along with your favourite cheeses. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Yukon gold potatoes: the bottom of those au gratin potatoes is in fact, potatoes! I like to make use of yukon gold potatoes on this recipe for the most effective buttery taste.
- Onion: we’re including slightly savory component to those au gratin potatoes with sliced onion. the onion will get scrumptious and barely caramelized whereas the potatoes bake. Plus the cheese sauce infuses with unbelievable onion taste.
- For the cheese sauce: you’ll make a cheese sauce utilizing salted butter, all function flour (entire wheat, all function, or gluten free 1:1 flour will all work), unsweetened almond milk (common, skim or entire milk may also work) and sharp cheddar cheese, gruyere cheese & grated parmesan cheese. Crucial to make use of sharp cheddar cheese right here for optimum taste!
- To season: you’ll add garlic powder, salt & black pepper to the cheese sauce to offer it the right taste.
- For topping: add slightly contemporary chopped parsley for a touch of inexperienced on prime!
What’s the distinction between scalloped and au gratin potatoes?
Au gratin potatoes normally have cheese sauce between every layer of thinly sliced potatoes and breadcrumbs on prime. Scalloped potatoes typically use a cream sauce manufactured from butter & broth and sliced potatoes. Fact be informed, it doesn’t actually matter what you name them!
On this au gratin potatoes recipe, we’re skipping the breadcrumbs, including some savory onions and making them additional tacky with three kinds of cheese.
The best way to make au gratin potatoes
These potatoes au gratin might look fancy, however they couldn’t be simpler to make:
- Prep your pan. Preheat the oven to 375 levels F and grease a 2 quart sq. or an 8×12 baking dish.
- Add your potatoes. Place sliced potatoes in three tight slanted rows as indicated within the photographs.
- Make your sauce. Soften butter in a pan, whisk in some flour and slowly alternate between milk and flour. As soon as it’s good and thick you’ll add your cheeses and seasonings.
- Cowl these potatoes & bake. Pour the sauce evenly over the potatoes and onions to cowl them. Don’t fear, the sauce will get good and creamy whereas baking. Then cowl with foil and bake!
- Extra cheese, bake & serve. After they’ve baked for about 45 minutes, sprinkle with extra cheese and bake once more till good and golden brown on prime and potatoes will be pierced with a fork. Garnish with contemporary chopped parsley and luxuriate in!
Suggestions for the most effective au gratin potatoes
- Evenly slice your potatoes. Do your greatest to verify your potato slices are even and about 1/8 inch thick in order that they cook dinner evenly. A mandolin makes this tremendous straightforward!
- Don’t squish them. You don’t need the sliced potatoes to be overly tight, so ensure you go away sufficient house so the potato slices are barely slanted. Add in onion slices in between the rows and on prime of potatoes. Principally wherever you’ll be able to match them.
- Shred the cheese. Do that by hand as an alternative of utilizing pre-shredded. It is going to soften a lot better!
- Season as-needed. Whenever you’re carried out mixing collectively your cheese sauce, make sure to style it and add extra salt and pepper as you see match. Everybody has a barely totally different choice for saltiness, so that you be the choose and keep in mind it’s coating a number of potatoes.
Customise this dish
- Add bacon or ham. You learn that proper! Make them tremendous savory and scrumptious by including 6-8 ounces of cooked, chopped bacon or ham to the cheese sauce or onto the potatoes earlier than pouring the sauce.
- Change up your cheeses. No stress in case you don’t have gruyere, be at liberty so as to add additional cheddar and even combine it up with a smoky gouda or perhaps a spicy cheese.
- Add breadcrumbs. If you’d like slightly crunchy topping, add some breadcrumbs and even crushed up Ritz crackers to the highest after pouring the cheese sauce.
- Use candy potatoes. This recipe could be scrumptious with candy potatoes as nicely, or you’ll be able to strive my chipotle gouda scalloped candy potatoes!
Can au gratin potatoes be made forward of time?
You may completely make these tacky au gratin potatoes as much as three days forward of time! Merely pour the sauce over the potatoes as directed, then cowl the pan with foil and as an alternative of baking, place within the fridge till able to bake. Please word that they might take a bit longer to bake, doubtless an extra 15-20 minutes, because the sauce will probably be chilly.
The best way to retailer potatoes au gratin
- To retailer: merely retailer these au gratin potatoes within the fridge in particular person, hermetic containers or overlaying your entire pan and inserting it within the fridge. They’ll keep good for as much as 5 days.
- To reheat: reheat particular person parts within the microwave or place the pan again within the oven till heated by.
Take a look at all of our kitchen necessities right here.
What to pair with au gratin potatoes
Serving these scrumptious potatoes for Easter brunch? Listed here are some nice additions to your Easter menu:
Get all of our scrumptious Thanksgiving recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on my dad’s tacky, creamy au gratin potatoes! If you happen to make them make sure to go away a remark and a score so I understand how you appreciated them. Take pleasure in, xo!
Dad’s Creamy & Tacky Au Gratin Potatoes
Cook dinner Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Complete Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Tacky, creamy au gratin potatoes made with three kinds of cheese for an unbelievable facet dish everybody will love! My dad’s well-known au gratin potatoes recipe is straightforward to make and stuffed with tacky goodness in each chunk. Good for holidays or anytime you want a scrumptious facet!
medium yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced into 1/eighth inch rounds (3 kilos gold potatoes — by weight is a extra correct measure)
white or yellow onion, reduce into slices
- For the sauce:
all function flour (entire wheat, all function, or gluten free 1:1 flour will all work)
unsweetened almond milk (common, skim or entire milk may also work)
sharp cheddar cheese (2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese)
salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- For topping:
gruyere cheese (or sub extra sharp cheddar)
- To garnish:
- Contemporary chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 375 levels F. Spray a 2 quart sq. baking dish (or an 8×12 is nice) with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter or oil.
Place sliced potatoes in three tight slanted rows as indicated within the photographs. You don’t need them to be overly tight, ensure you go away sufficient house so the potato slices are barely slanted. Add in onion slices in between the rows and on prime of potatoes. Principally wherever you’ll be able to match them.
Subsequent make your sauce: add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter is melted, whisk in slightly little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, slightly bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Carry combination to a simmer; it needs to be the same consistency to creamy gravy.
Flip warmth to low and stir in shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Style and add extra salt and pepper, if vital.
Pour the sauce evenly over the potatoes and onions to cowl them. Don’t fear, the sauce will get good and creamy whereas baking.
Cowl the pan with foil, then bake for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, take away foil, sprinkle prime of potatoes with 1/2 cup shredded gruyere (or extra cheddar) and ¼ cup parmesan. Return to the oven and bake for 30-45 extra minutes or till potatoes are carried out and good and golden brown on prime. (Potatoes are carried out when the center of the potatoes will be simply pierced with a fork.) Take away from the oven and garnish with contemporary chopped parsley. Take pleasure in!
This recipe could be scrumptious with bacon. If you happen to’d like, you’ll be able to be at liberty so as to add in 8 ounces of chopped cooked bacon over the potatoes earlier than including the cheese sauce. Or simply stir the chopped bacon into the cheese sauce. Mmmm!
To make forward: be at liberty to make these potatoes as much as three days forward of time! Merely pour the sauce over the potatoes as directed, then cowl the pan with foil and as an alternative of baking, place within the fridge till able to bake. They could take a bit longer, doubtless quarter-hour, to bake because the sauce will probably be chilly.
To retailer: merely retailer these au gratin potatoes within the fridge in particular person, hermetic containers or overlaying your entire pan and inserting it within the fridge. They will keep good for as much as 5 days.
To reheat: reheat particular person parts within the microwave or place the pan again within the oven till heated by.
Servings: 8 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 8)
Saturated fats: 7.3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially printed on November ninth, 2020, republished on November twenty second, 2021, and republished on April eleventh, 2022.