Dukkah is a mix of nuts, seeds, and spices that hails from Egypt and the Center East. Crunchy and flavorful, it is scrumptious on dips, veggies, and extra!
I made a full batch of this straightforward dukkah recipe final week, and inside a couple of days, the entire thing was gone. It’s the type of seasoning which you could sprinkle on all the pieces, out of your morning scrambled eggs and avocado toast to roasted veggies at dinner. Mainly, anytime you wish to pep up a easy meal, dukkah will help you do it.
Dukkah (additionally spelled duqqa) is a Center Japanese and Egyptian nut, seed, and spice mix. The precise components are likely to differ, although varied toasted nuts, sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin are among the many commonest additions. As Amy Chaplin writes in her cookbook At Dwelling within the Complete Meals Kitchen, dukkah is historically served as a dip with olive oil and bread, although the methods to make use of it don’t finish there (see a few of my favorites under!). As we speak, pre-made dukkah is on the market in lots of spice retailers and grocery shops, although for the perfect taste, I like to recommend making your personal at dwelling.
Dukkah Recipe Elements
I make my model of this Egyptian spice mix with 7 easy components:
- Hazelnuts and pistachios – They add crunch and wealthy, nutty taste.
- Sesame seeds – Use a mixture of black and white in case you have them!
- Floor cumin and coriander – I take advantage of floor variations of those spices as a result of I at all times have them readily available, however should you occur to have entire coriander or cumin seeds in your kitchen, be at liberty to sub them in! Begin with 3/4 teaspoon of every entire spice as a substitute of 1/2. After you mix the dukkah collectively, alter the seasonings to style.
- Fennel seeds – They add nice savory taste to this straightforward spice combine.
- And sea salt – To make the earthy, nutty, and toasty flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
How one can Make Dukkah
This dukkah recipe is SO easy to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, toast the nuts and seeds. Place the hazelnuts and pistachios in a small skillet over medium warmth. Toast, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or till the nuts are aromatic and starting to brown. Add the sesame and fennel seeds and toast for 1 minute extra. Stir usually, or the seeds will burn!
Switch the toasted nuts and seeds to a meals processor, and add the cumin, coriander, and salt.
Subsequent, grind up the spice mix. Historically, dukkah can be made utilizing a mortar and pestle. Actually, in line with Severe Eats, its identify really comes from the Egyptian Arabic phrase that means “to crush” or “to pound.” Nevertheless, utilizing a meals processor achieves an identical impact with a fraction of the hassle, in order that’s what I take advantage of to make dukkah at dwelling. However in case you have a mortar and pestle and you like to make use of that, go for it! Pulse or pound the combination till the nuts are coarsely floor, with some bigger nut items nonetheless remaining.
Season to style with extra salt, cumin, or coriander…and that’s it! Retailer the dukkah in an hermetic container at room temperature for a few weeks.
Listed below are a couple of of my favourite methods to make use of this flavorful spice mix:
- As a dip. Dunk a bit pita or crusty bread in olive oil, after which dip it within the dukkah. The oil will assist the nuts and spices stick with the bread, making it a wealthy, satisfying appetizer or snack.
- On a dip. Sprinkle it over hummus, baba ganoush, or do-it-yourself labneh earlier than serving.
- On eggs. Scrambled, poached, and even soft-boiled.
- On avocado toast. Gown it up extra with roasted chickpeas, contemporary herbs, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- On grilled or roasted greens. You’ll discover this dukkah on this roasted carrot recipe. It’s additionally incredible on roasted butternut squash, broccoli, or cauliflower and grilled eggplant or zucchini.
- In easy salads. Sprinkle it over this roasted beet salad or this shredded carrot salad.
How do you want to make use of dukkah? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Selfmade Spice Blends
If you happen to love this dukkah recipe, attempt making one in every of these do-it-yourself seasoning blends subsequent:
Serves 8 12
Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mix comprised of crushed toasted nuts, seeds, and spices. This model is simple to make within the meals processor, and it retains in an hermetic container at room temperature for a few weeks. Discover my favourite methods to make use of it within the put up above!
- ½ cup uncooked hazelnuts
- ¼ cup uncooked shelled pistachios
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon floor coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon floor cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
In a small skillet over medium warmth, toast the hazelnuts and pistachios for about 2 minutes, or till aromatic. Add the sesame seeds and fennel seeds and toast about 1 minute extra, stirring usually to stop burning.
Switch the nuts and seeds to a meals processor and add the coriander, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Pulse till nicely chopped. Season to style with extra salt, if desired.
See the weblog put up above for serving ideas.