Spring is a good time to take inventory of how your winter weight loss plan and coaching have progressed. Maybe your self-examination will reveal that your thighs, calves and buttocks are softer and sagging a bit greater than you need. Even if so at present, a tighter weight loss plan and targeted assault on the decrease physique will flip issues round moderately rapidly. Squat jumps are an effective way to start out this decrease physique evolution. They may generate muscle energy, enhance physique stability, agency the thighs, calves and buttocks, and burn energy within the course of. It is usually a fantastic train in the event you can’t make it to the fitness center, as a result of you are able to do squat jumps even when there isn’t a fitness center in sight.
Muscle Construction and Perform
The squat bounce entails many thigh, calf and hip muscle tissue, however solely the key ones can be mentioned right here. The quadriceps femoris muscle group consists of 4 thigh muscle tissue.1 The vastus lateralis muscle covers the lateral a part of the femur bone of the thigh. The vastus medialis muscle is anchored to the medial a part of the femur. The vastus intermedius muscle is hooked up to the central, anterior a part of the femur. The muscle fibers from these three vasti muscle tissue connect to the quadriceps tendon. The rectus femoris begins on the hipbones on the iliac crest and above the hip joint and never on the femur.2 Its fibers lengthen to the patellar tendon together with the three vastus muscle tissue to connect to the patella (knee cap). This tendon continues from the patella to the tibia bone of the decrease leg because the patellar ligament. Collectively, the three vasti and the rectus femoris lengthen the leg on the knee.
The gluteus maximus is the key muscle of the buttocks.1 It extends the thigh when you’re leaping upwards from the squat place. The fibers of the gluteus medius muscle run between the ileum bone of the hip and the posterior a part of the femur bone of the thigh. It abducts the femur on the hip joint by shifting the femur laterally, away from the midline of the physique. The gluteus medius maintains physique stability through the takeoff and touchdown of squat jumps.
Collectively, the lengthy head of the biceps femoris, semimembranosus and semitendinosus muscle tissue are the hamstring muscle tissue that reside on the posterior thigh. These muscle tissue connect to the posterior sides of hip and pelvic bones.1 They lengthen down the posterior facet of the femur bone to connect both on the medial facet of the tibia bone of the leg (semitendinosus), the medial facet of the superior a part of the tibia bone (semimembranosus) or the lateral facet of the tibia bone just under the knee (biceps femoris). Collectively, these muscle tissue flex the knee. Nonetheless, when the foot is on the bottom, the hamstrings lengthen the hip joint, and subsequently these muscle tissue are very energetic through the upwards leap in bounce squats.
You need to stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings and do a pair minutes of sunshine stationary biking earlier than starting this train.3 That is necessary as a result of squat jumps are moderately explosive as you thrust upwards from the squat place, so the muscle tissue and joints ought to first be warmed up appropriately. As well as, your sneakers ought to have an excellent rubber sole so that you received’t slip on the bench.
1. In case you have not completed these earlier than, begin with a low bench that’s about 12 inches excessive.
2. Straddle the bench in order that one foot is on both facet of it. Your ft must be about shoulder-width aside.
3. Squat down till your knees are flexed to an angle of about 90 levels. You could want to elevate your arms in entrance of you to close shoulder stage to enhance your stability through the jumps.
4. Explosively spring upwards. Convey each ft nearer collectively as you bounce in order that each ft concurrently land on prime of the bench. Bend your knees to a 90-degree angle and squat when your ft hit the highest of the bench. The squat on the bench will enhance the work on your thighs and buttocks and it’ll additionally take in the jarring forces which might be generated through the bounce.
5. As soon as you might be on the bench, thrust upwards from the squat place and bounce off the bench. Widen your stance in order that each ft hit the ground concurrently.
6. Instantly squat as your ft hit the ground. It will each take in the bounce downward and likewise put together you for the subsequent bounce upwards.
7. Proceed for at least 15 repetitions however work as much as 25. Relaxation a few minute, after which repeat the set. You may work as much as 3 units. After getting mastered this, choose the next bench (e.g., 18 inches) and steadily work as much as a bench that’s 24 inches in peak. Don’t fear, you’ll grasp the train rapidly4 and end up in search of larger benches very quickly.
The relative diploma of muscle exercise differs among the many quadriceps muscle tissue through the bounce. The strain within the vasti muscle tissue diminishes as you strategy the highest portion of the carry (with the knees straightened). Conversely, the rectus femoris is much less energetic on the backside however turns into extra activated when the hip and knee are being prolonged. For the reason that gluteus maximus muscle and hamstring muscle tissue are sturdy extensors of the hip, they’re very energetic through the bounce upwards.
It is a actually intensive train. The muscle tissue of your decrease physique can be stretched underneath your body weight as you bounce off the bench throughout every repetition,5 which suggests your muscle tissue can turn out to be sore from this train. When completed accurately, the squat bounce generally is a nice complement to different weight coaching or cardio. Alternatively, squat jumps can work independently to successfully agency your decrease physique, burn lots of energy and provide you with larger leaping means6 or simply deliver a spring to your step.
1. Moore, KL and AF Dalley. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Fourth version. Baltimore, Lippincott Williams & Williams, 1999; 531-546.
2. Waligora AC, Johanson NA, Hirsch BE. Scientific anatomy of the quadriceps femoris and extensor equipment of the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467: 3297-3306.
3. Pacheco L, Balius R, Aliste L et al. The acute results of various stretching workout routines on bounce efficiency. J Power Cond Res 2011;25:2991-2998.
4. Randell AD, Cronin JB, Keogh JW et al. Reliability of efficiency velocity for bounce squats underneath suggestions and nonfeedback circumstances. J Power Cond Res 2011;25:3514-3518.
5. Foure A, Nordez A, Cornu C. Results of plyometric coaching on passive stiffness of gastrocnemii muscle tissue and Achilles tendon. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011; in press.
6. Ziv, G , Lidor, R 2009. Vertical bounce in feminine and male basketball players-A assessment of observational and experimental research. J Sci Med Sport 2010;13, 332-339, 2010.