This traditional, plant-based recipe relies on two cool climate staples: beets and Swiss chard. Beets are famously brilliant purple, nonetheless different varieties embody golden beets, that are a deep yellow-orange shade. Swiss chard could be colourful, with deep inexperienced leaves, and multi-colored, rainbow-hued stems. Out there yr spherical in lots of rising areas, these colourful crops are filled with fiber, nutritional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant compounds. The beans add much more fiber, nutritional vitamins, and minerals, in addition to protein. This recipe is impressed by the traditional Italian meals pairing of greens, beans, and pasta. It’s like a plant-based mixture made in heaven! This recipe for Golden Beets and Chard with White Beans and Penne is totally plant-based (vegan), and you may simply make it gluten-free by utilizing gluten-free pasta.
In simply 20 minutes, you will get this meal-in-one, budget-friendly recipe on the desk. It’s based mostly on solely 8 substances (not together with pantry staples), a lot of which (beans, pasta, garlic, onions, oregano) could be saved in your kitchen. Simply add the recent, seasonal substances of beets, chard, and lemon, and you’ve got an exquisite one-dish meal in your busiest nights of the week. I flip to this recipe on a regular basis, as a result of I develop chard in my California backyard all winter lengthy. It’s one of many best greens to develop, and offers again such a wealthy diet bonus. I even have beets rising every year. You possibly can swap various kinds of chard and even spinach or mustard greens for the chard, and you may swap golden beets for purple beets, in the event you favor. You can even attempt totally different beans, such a kidney beans, black beans, or chickpeas. Wealthy in protein, fiber, nutritional vitamins, and minerals, this can be a plant-powered meal that retains giving again.
This simple, scrumptious, colourful, nutrition-packed, plant-based recipe for Golden Beets and Chard with White Beans and Penne could be created in 20 minutes with solely 8 substances.
- 8 ounces penne pasta, complete grain
- 1 tablespoon further virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch recent golden beets (about 4 medium), trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons recent oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, (i.e., cannelloni or navy), rinsed, drained
- Fill a medium pot half full with water and produce to a boil. Add pasta and cook dinner simply to al dente stage, based on bundle instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Return to pot and canopy to maintain heat.
- Whereas pasta is cooking, warmth olive oil in a big sauté pan or skillet. Add beets, onions, and garlic and sauté for five minutes.
- Add pepper, salt, lemon juice and zest, and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water, and sauté for about 13 minutes, till beets are tender but barely crisp.
- Add Swiss chard, oregano, and beans. Cowl and cook dinner for about 3 minutes, till chard is simply barely wilted, however brilliant inexperienced.
- Stir in cooked pasta and serve with Vegan Cashew Parmesan, if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American, Mediterranean
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 231
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 278 mg
- Fats: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 10 g
Key phrases: beet, char, purple char, penne, pasta
Try a few of my favourite plant-based pasta dishes:
Baked Mediterranean Lasagna
Pasta with Marinara and Roasted Greens
Mushroom Bomb Lentil Pasta
Lemony Backyard Peas with Pasta
Pasta with Rapini, Fava, and Mushrooms
Vegan Pasta with Creamy Spinach Ricotta Sauce
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.