Our favourite carrot cake recipe! Moist, warmly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting, it is easy to make and ideal for celebrations.
It’s carrot cake season! I don’t learn about you, however when the climate warms up, my dessert cravings shift away from chocolate in the direction of lighter, fruitier treats. This variation works out properly for me, as a result of carrot cake is Jack’s all-time favourite dessert, and we make it yearly for his April birthday.
You’ll discover our go-to carrot cake recipe under. It’s primarily based on my mother’s, and it makes use of her secret ingredient: applesauce. It makes the cake tremendous moist and tender, and it steps in for among the oil and sugar that you just’d usually discover in a carrot cake recipe. Consequently, this recipe is on the lighter aspect, so you possibly can have your cake and eat it too. 🙂 Cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla fill it with heat taste, and a tangy cream cheese frosting takes it excessive.
For those who’re in search of a simple, scrumptious dessert for Easter, Mom’s Day, or any celebration, I hope you’ll do this carrot cake recipe. We’ve made it and liked it time and time (and time) once more, and I feel you’ll adore it too.
Carrot Cake Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this carrot cake recipe:
- Carrots, in fact! They make the cake tremendous moist and tender.
- Complete wheat pastry flour – A more healthy different to common all-purpose. For those who don’t have entire wheat pastry flour, you possibly can substitute a 50/50 mixture of all-purpose and common entire wheat.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and eggs – They assist the cake rise.
- Maple syrup – As a substitute of constructing this cake with brown sugar or common granulated sugar, I sweeten it naturally with pure maple syrup. I really like the depth of taste that the maple provides to the cake!
- Applesauce – For extra moisture and additional (pure) sweetness.
- Almond milk – Or any milk you want! My do-it-yourself oat milk would work properly right here too.
- Coconut oil – For richness. Free free to make use of olive oil or vegetable oil if you happen to desire.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract – For heat, spiced taste.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Make the BEST Carrot Cake
Since marrying Jack, I’ve had numerous apply making carrot cake. Listed below are my ideas & tips for making the perfect carrot cake round:
- Grate your carrots finely. Finely grated carrots meld seamlessly into the cake, whereas bigger items create a much less uniform texture. Finely grate your carrots for mild, fluffy, and cohesive cake slices!
- Spoon and degree your flour. Anytime you’re baking, the way you measure flour issues. It will probably simply settle or develop into compacted in a canister or bag, so if you happen to scoop it up straight together with your measuring cup, you may unintentionally pack an excessive amount of into your scoop. An excessive amount of flour = dry baked items. And nobody likes dry carrot cake! To keep away from utilizing an excessive amount of flour, fluff the flour within the canister or bag with a spoon after which gently spoon it into your measuring cup. Clear off any extra flour with the again of a butter knife. This technique for measuring flour is tremendous easy, and it’ll assist your carrot cake come out moist and tender each time.
- Don’t overmix. This rule applies to baked items throughout the board. Combine your batter till simply mixed – and never any longer – or your cake can be dense.
- Let your cake cool utterly earlier than frosting it. Sure, that is a simple recipe, however there may be one laborious half: ready for the cake to chill! For those who frost it too early, the frosting will soften, so wait till the cake is at room temperature earlier than slathering it on.
Straightforward Carrot Cake Recipe Variations
Jack is a real carrot cake fanatic, and if he’s taught me something, it’s that carrot cake generally is a private factor. For those who like yours with chopped walnuts or raisins, be happy to fold ½-1 cup into the cake batter. For those who like yours with coconut, fold ½ cup into the batter or sprinkle shredded coconut over the frosted cake. I like mine plain, though I feel it’s fairly with just a few chopped pecans sprinkled on high.
You too can select your cake dimension and form! The recipe under makes any of those:
- one 9-inch spherical cake (pictured)
- one sq. 8×8-inch cake
- a 2-layer cake utilizing two 6-inch cake pans (additionally pictured)
Lastly, select your favourite frosting. You may make the cream cheese frosting recipe under with common or dairy-free cream cheese (I used Kite Hill right here), although the common model can be stiffer and higher for slathering between the cake layers if you happen to’re making a layer cake. A lighter frosting possibility can be the cashew maple frosting from this recipe, which is extra of a glaze. You may additionally depart the cake plain or serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Baking Recipes
If this carrot cake recipe earns rave opinions, attempt considered one of these treats subsequent:
Or head to this submit for extra enjoyable baking recipes!
Greatest Carrot Cake
Serves 10 to 12
My favourite carrot cake recipe! Made with healthful components like entire wheat pastry flour, applesauce, and pure maple syrup, it is moist, scrumptious, and simple to make.
- 2¼ cups entire wheat pastry flour (or half white, half wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 massive eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup almond milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 4 ounces cream cheese*
- 1½ tablespoons butter*, barely softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, extra if a stiffer frosting is desired
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch spherical baking pan, 8×8 sq. pan, or two 6-inch spherical cake pans.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs after which whisk within the applesauce, maple syrup, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Stir within the carrots.
Pour the moist components into the bowl of dry components and stir till simply mixed.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 35 to 38 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted comes out clear. Let the cake cool utterly earlier than frosting.
Make the frosting: In a big bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electrical mixer till easy. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and blend till easy.
*To make this cake non-dairy, use Kite Hill vegan cream cheese and vegan butter rather than the common cream cheese.