I beloved this Jicama Carrot Radish Slaw, and I used to be so comfortable when it stayed good within the fridge for a number of days. And this tasty slaw with jicama is surprisingly low in internet carbs!
Currently I’ve been shopping for an enormous jicama almost each time I am going to the shop. I slice it in sticks and use it to scoop up Grandma Denny’s Do-it-yourself Ranch Dip, Guacamole, or Straightforward Avocado Sauce.
I’m unsure how the concept popped into my head for this Jicama Carrot Radish Slaw, however I completely beloved this mixture of little matchsticks of jicama with shredded carrots, radishes, inexperienced onion, and cilantro (optionally available).
I experimented a number of instances to get simply what I needed, and for this last model I used a dressing with lime juice, Inexperienced Tabasco Sauce, Cumin, sea salt, and olive oil, for a scrumptious jicama slaw recipe that’s loaded with taste!
Do you want jicama? It’s a root crop that’s generally known as Mexican Turnip, and I’d say the flavour of is just like uncooked turnip as effectively. Uncooked jicama is crispy and candy, and it doesn’t flip darkish when it’s minimize, making it good to make use of in salads. Jicama can also be comparatively low in carbs and excessive in fiber making it good for carb aware eaters. It’s generally cooked and used as a alternative for potatoes, which I haven’t tried but.
What substances do you want for this recipe?
- shredded carrots
- inexperienced onion
- chopped cilantro (optionally available, use extra inexperienced onion in case you don’t need cilantro)
- fresh-squeezed lime juice, I used my fresh-frozen lime juice
- Inexperienced Tabasco Sauce (affiliate hyperlink), or use your favourite sizzling sauce in case you don’t have this
- floor cumin (affiliate hyperlink)
- sea salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
How did I slice the Jicama?
I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate hyperlink) to slice the jicama into very skinny matchstick items, which I assumed had nice symmetry of minimize with the carrots that I purchased already shredded. You can nonetheless make this in case you needed to chop the jicama by hand, however utilizing a mandoline makes the job very fast.
What in case you don’t need cilantro on this jicama slaw recipe?
In the event you’re somebody who doesn’t benefit from the taste of cilantro, simply use a bit extra thinly-sliced inexperienced onion and the salad will nonetheless be scrumptious!
Suggestions for making Jicama Carrot Radish Slaw:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary data.)
- My former scholar Kaleb gave me the Mandoline Slicer (affiliate hyperlink) which made it straightforward to slice the jicama into matchstick strips.
- I minimize the lengthy jicama strips in half in order that they had been near the size of the shredded carrots.
- I really like pre-shredded carrots in salads as a result of they’re a bit firmer than the carrots you shred your self. I used one cup of carrots, however use even much less carrots if you need decrease carbs.
- I minimize the radishes into half-moon shapes so each bit would have a pink border.
- I used a beneficiant quantity of sliced inexperienced onion and chopped cilantro, however you should utilize much less. (In the event you don’t like cilantro I’d simply use a bit extra sliced inexperienced onion.)
- Whisk collectively substances to make the cumin-lime French dressing
- Toss the shredded carrot, jicama strips, radishes, and inexperienced onion till they’re effectively mixed.
- Then toss with the specified quantity of dressing (it’s possible you’ll not need all of the dressings in case you like your salads frivolously dressed.)
- Then combine within the chopped cilantro (optionally available) and toss once more.
- Serve Jicama Carrot Radish Slaw immediately or refrigerate.
Extra Tasty Salads with Jicama:
- 4 cups matchstick jicama strips (1 medium-large jicama)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bunch radishes, minimize in to half-moon slices (about 10 radishes)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced inexperienced onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (or much less; may also use Italian parsley or a mixture of cilantro and parsley)
- 2 T recent lime juice (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. Inexperienced Tabasco Sauce (or extra; use your favourite sizzling sauce in case you don’t have this)
- 1/4 tsp. floor cumin (or barely extra in case you actually like cumin)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel the jicama, then use a mandoline, massive grater, or a knife to chop the jicama into matchstick items.
- Grate carrots (or use pre-shredded carrots like I did.)
- Wash and trim radishes, then minimize into half-moon shapes.
- Wash and dry inexperienced onions, then thinly slice.
- Wash cilantro (or parsley), spin dry or dry with paper towels, then chop with chef’s knife.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup combine collectively the lime juice, Inexperienced Tabasco Sauce, floor cumin, and sea salt.
- Whisk within the olive oil, one tablespoon at a time.
- Put jicama strips, shredded carrots, sliced radishes, and sliced inexperienced onion in a bowl and toss so they’re effectively mixed.
- Then toss salad once more with desired quantity of dressing. (Chances are you’ll not need all of the dressing in case you like your salads on the dry aspect.)
- Add chopped cilantro (or parsley) and toss once more.
- Serve immediately or chill within the fridge for a number of hours.
I used to be pleasantly shocked that this was nonetheless superb after being within the fridge. It might most likely preserve for a number of days, however I ate all of mine the second day after it had been within the fridge in a single day! It’d want a bit extra dressing added to perk up the flavors in case you preserve it longer.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 104Complete Fats: 7gSaturated Fats: 1gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 6gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Diet data is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
South Seaside Food regimen / Low-Carb Food regimen Strategies:
This salad is surprisingly low in internet carbs, or you could possibly make an excellent lower-carb model of the slaw by utilizing much less carrots and extra jicama and radishes. Utilizing carrots would make this Jicama Slaw restricted to section 2 or 3 for the unique South Seaside Food regimen.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes for extra salads like this one. Use the Food regimen Kind Index to seek out extra recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also wish to observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2011. It was final up to date with extra data in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.