For those who’re in search of low-lift, substantial, vegetarian or vegan sandwich concepts, you’re going to wish to make a deli-sized container of this chickpea salad sandwich filling. It isn’t solely excellent for actually nice chickpea salad sandwiches, it is also a favourite submitting in lettuce wraps, and a legit snack unfold all through the week. Whenever you go the sandwich route, it’s like a vegan “tuna salad” sandwich with chickpeas standing in for the tuna. Or rooster salad sandwich with chickpeas as an alternative of rooster. This isn’t a brand new idea, however I believed I’d stroll you thru the model I make round right here on many Sunday afternoons.
What I Love About This Sandwich
There are so many issues I really like about this sandwich. I really like the garlic-rubbed crunchiness of the bread in distinction to the softer chickpea salad filling. And I really like that it retains me going for hours. Mainly, it is scrumptious, and it does the job. For those who hold an enormous container of this in your fridge, not solely are you able to make wonderful chickpea salad sandwiches all week, you’ll be able to change it up all kinds of the way I am going to define under.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Components
To take a median chickpea salad sandwich to the following stage, take note of the substances first. I am going sturdy a variety of the substances others are typically a bit shy about, however I discover this method delivers a chickpea sandwich filling that hits all the correct buttons, and is even higher on days two and three. The flavors actually come collectively. Listed below are some ideas on the substances on this sandwich, and the way I select (or take care of) every one.
- Bread: I’m going to argue that there are two routes to go on the bread entrance. You’re both going to wish to select slices of fine, hearty sourdough bread for this sandwich. Slices you’ll be able to toast or grill brushed with olive oil and rubbed with the higher a part of a clove of garlic. Or, take the utterly reverse method by selecting a delicate, pillowy squishy loaf of some type of multi-grain sandwich bread. Possibly you calmly toast this bread, however possibly not. I most frequently go for the toasted sourdough (pictured all through), and have a tendency to get pleasure from it open-faced this fashion, however there are occasions after I like this chickpea salad sandwich with a softer bread as nicely. I believe you’ll know which camp you are in from go.
- Chickpeas: You smash the chickpeas, and to take action you have got a pair choices. As a result of I’ll do absolutely anything to keep away from unnecessarily having to scrub an equipment, I sometimes hand-smash the chickpeas in a big bowl utilizing a big fork, or (even higher!) a potato masher. Some chickpeas are softer than others, it appears to differ from can to can, and I discover chickpeas cooked from dry beans usually have extra construction. If you find yourself with tougher chickpeas, the fork methodology generally is a bit irritating. Seize a potato masher or just a few fast pulses in a meals processor additionally does the trick. You wish to break down the chickpeas, not try to show them to hummus, so go simple on the pulsing.
- Mustard: I favor whole-grain mustard right here, however you probably have a Dijon-style mustard readily available, by all means use that. I additionally are likely to dial up the mustard fairly a bit – extra assertive, however nonetheless balanced I’d argue.
- Relish: I often attain for no matter deli-style relish Wayne has within the fridge door. It’s often on the sweeter aspect however doesn’t need to be.
- Walnuts: I really like the feel and substance just a few toasted walnuts convey to this sandwich. Give it a go, even for those who’re a bit skeptical. I discovered myself out of walnuts for this spherical of sandwiches and actually loved the pine nut swap!
- Chile: I at all times add a finely chopped serrano to this chickpea salad sandwich filling, it provides dimension extra that spiciness, and a pleasant pop of inexperienced taste. Optionally available, in fact, however beneficial.
The recipe I’m posting down under is my base “go-to” chickpea salad sandwich recipe. However I like to mess around. Listed below are some variations I’ve loved over there years to encourage you to additionally experiment with the substances you have got readily available.
- Extremely Hippie Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To the chickpea salad, add a pair handfuls of finely chopped kale & toasted sunflower seeds instead of the walnuts, and a tablespoon or so of dietary yeast. End with crushed toasted nori or nori furikake.
- Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich: I really like a spicy every little thing, however with this sandwich just like the lead spicy element *on* the sandwich, not blended in. Tabasco, Cholula, or different sizzling sauce sprinkled throughout the highest of the chickpea salad element is the place it’s at for me. Calabrian Chile paste can be A+ right here because the spicy topping.
- Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich: To make this sandwich vegan, use your favourite plant-based, vegan yogurt. You principally need one thing to tug all of the substances collectively, so for those who don’t have a vegan yogurt readily available, you’ll be able to experiment with a vegan mayo, tahini, or a mix of the 2 as nicely. Take into account, that is principally a vegan “tuna” salad sandwich, with smashed chickpeas standing in for the tuna. And much like a tuna sandwich, it is extremely a lot about private desire and ingredient ratios.
The recipe included under is my base start line, however mess around a bit with the substances you retain readily available and love. Different issues I like to combine in (not unexpectedly): shredded basil in summer time, a smoked salt, finely shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, a pair teaspoons of miso, a little bit of preserved lemon. Have enjoyable, experiment, and let me know any favourite combos you provide you with.
I hope you get pleasure from this sandwich as a lot as I do, it truly is certainly one of my favourite, simple, feel-good lunches. For those who love chickpeas as a lot as I do right here’s the place you’ll be able to browse extra chickpea recipes – there are tons! There are extra sandwich recipes, and a few of my favorites embody this Vegetarian TLT Sandwich, basic Egg Salad Sandwich, Grillable Tofu Burgers. Or for those who’re simply in search of simple methods to mix good bread with good toppings, it is arduous to beat bruschetta, and I speak via adapt it for the seasons on that web page – past tomatoes ;).