Conventional vacation recipes are a humorous fare: They’re dishes served solely annually at a festive event. Sure, it appears virtually sacrilegious to serve these particular meals at non-holiday occasions of the 12 months. So if I truly had the nerve to organize my nice grandmother’s Crabmeat Casserole for an incidence that weren’t Christmas Eve, I wouldn’t dare inform Mother or my sisters; and I’d be a bit of apprehensive that Grandma is likely to be admonishing me from heaven. That’s the reason, since I’m sharing it right here with you all, I needed to make a couple of fashionable updates for my model of Wasabi Crab Casserole!
My grandmother, in addition to Mother baked particular person casserole servings in big scallop shells. So once I was a bit of woman, despite the fact that I didn’t significantly take care of this dish, I all the time requested for some so I might eat off of the tremendous particular actual seashell. (As a lady from land-locked Montana cattle ranch, this was as shut as I ever bought to consuming something from the ocean inside any form of shell!)
As I discussed Crabmeat Casserole was all the time served Christmas Eve alongside candy white zinfandel with a number of cheese, crackers, sausage and crudité: Carrot sticks, celery sticks, pickled beets and dill pickles. These have been served on the enjoyable card get together tin snack plates seen under. I’ve a tall stack of Grandma’s snack plates now and love to make use of them as an alternative of paper plates at any form of get together. They’re so festive! As is this easy crab casserole; serve it on a buffet desk with different appetizers – or as a first course to a particular meal.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all goal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 can crab meat
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 1 cup toasted cubed entire grain white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Soften butter in saucepan, whisk in flour, salt and prepare dinner for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and prepare dinner, stirring continuously till thickened. Whisk in mustard, lemon juice, wasabi till clean.
- Gently stir in crab meat, eggs and toasted bread. Pour into buttered casserole dish or particular person casserole cups.
- Soften remaining 1 teaspoon butter and stir in panko breadcrumbs; sprinkle on high of casserole. Bake in a preheated 350 diploma oven for 20 minutes till golden brown. (If high is just not getting golden, broil for a couple of minutes, however watch carefully.)