Elevate your hand if carrot cake is your favourite cake of all time, or as I wish to name it the Oprah of truffles. You understand, elegant and complicated, but in addition one thing everybody loves.
These chewy carrot cake cookies had been first made by yours really again in 2014 aka the yr I grew to become obsessive about turning my favourite truffles and breads into wholesome little bite-sized cookie variations. Since Easter and Mom’s Day are proper across the nook, I figured it was the proper alternative to share these wonderful child truffles aka wholesome carrot cake cookies once more.
I really made these cookies three completely different instances earlier than deciding on this model. I attempted one with brown butter, one other with maple syrup as a substitute of brown sugar and the final with extra oats and a cream cheese glaze. I really actually cherished the entire variations (particularly the browned butter one!). Nevertheless, I needed these to be a fantastic cookie nutrition-wise, be dairy free and likewise tremendous tasty.
What makes these carrot cake cookies more healthy?
These fantastic carrot cake cookies are made with nutritious elements that make them further nourishing and satisfying. These cookies are:
- Full of complete grains: the bottom is created from complete wheat flour and oatmeal, which provides a lift of filling complete grains.
- Dairy free: they get moisture from shredded carrots and a little bit of coconut oil as a substitute of butter.
- Veggie-packed: they pack a fairly nice dietary punch with a full cup of shredded carrot!
Components in wholesome carrot cake cookies
One of many causes I really like these lovely cookies is as a result of they’re filled with nutritious elements and topped with a lightweight cinnamon glaze. They style similar to a slice of carrot cake. And dare I say that you might even take pleasure in them for breakfast?! YES YOU CAN. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- White complete wheat flour: you can even use complete wheat pastry flour.
- Baking soda & salt: for correctly baking these carrot cake cookies.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg: the cinnamon and nutmeg make the final word carrot cake spice combo.
- Coconut oil: I really like baking with coconut oil and it provides simply the correct quantity of moisture to those cookies.
- Darkish brown sugar: I feel darkish brown sugar provides the proper sweetness. You can too use coconut sugar.
- Egg: to assist bind these cookies. I haven’t tried it, however you might strive utilizing a flax egg to maintain these vegan.
- Vanilla: you simply want a splash of vanilla for for extra cozy taste.
- Shredded carrots: as a result of these are wholesome carrot cake cookies!
- Rolled oats: oats give the cookies a deliciously chewy texture similar to your fav oatmeal cookie. I’d not recommend utilizing metal reduce oats on this recipe, however be at liberty to make use of gluten free rolled oats.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut: I really like including coconut for extra of that true carrot cake taste. Yum.
- Chopped pecans or walnuts: love the crunch of pecans or walnuts in each chew!
- Raisins: I’m an enormous fan of raisins in my carrot cake – so good!
- Powdered sugar: mix powdered sugar with a little bit of almond milk and cinnamon to make a simple, mild cinnamon glaze.
Customise these carrot cake cookies
These wholesome carrot cake cookies can simply be personalized to fit your style preferences and/or dietary wants.
- To make vegan: Substitute the egg with half a big, mashed banana or a flax egg.
- To make gluten free: I like to recommend an all objective GF flour for the entire wheat. You can too strive chickpea flour.
- Use butter: You can too use 1/4 cup of melted butter as a substitute of coconut oil for those who aren’t dairy free and like to bake with butter.
- Go refined sugar-free: Be happy to sub brown sugar with coconut sugar or with maple syrup. Word that for those who use maple syrup your cookies will probably be extra cake-like.
- Add some indulgence: Should you like cream cheese (and aren’t dairy free), strive including a heaping tablespoon of softened cream cheese to the glaze earlier than you combine it up; it makes the glaze tremendous creamy and scrumptious!
These cookies get crisp on the bottoms and outdoors however are deliciously mushy and chewy within the center. Secretly wishing I had chipmunk cheeks for optimum carrot cake cookie storage.
Can I miss the mix-ins?
Positive! Be happy to go away out the raisins, pecans or coconut if you don’t desire them. You can too substitute any nut or dried fruit.
Find out how to retailer carrot cake cookies
- At room temp: these cookies will keep good for five days at room temperature in cooler climate in an hermetic container. If humid, I like to recommend transferring cookies to the fridge in a glass container after a day or two.
- To freeze: get all of our greatest suggestions & tips for freezing cookies (baked or unbaked) right here!
Extra carrot cake recipes you’ll love
Get all of my carrot cake recipes right here!
I do know you’re going to LOVE these wholesome carrot cake cookies. Should you make them, I’d love so that you can go away a remark & ranking so I understand how you appreciated them! It encourages others to bake them, too. xoxo!
Wholesome Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies (made with coconut oil!)
Scrumptious wholesome carrot cake cookies bursting with coconut, raisins and pecans. These naturally sweetened carrot cake oatmeal cookies style similar to the carrot cake you understand and love however are wholesome sufficient to take pleasure in for breakfast!
white complete wheat flour or complete wheat pastry flour
coconut oil, melted and cooled
packed darkish brown sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
heaping cup shredded carrots
unsweetened shredded coconut
chopped pecans or walnuts
- For the glaze:
unsweetened almond milk
- sprint of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
In a separate giant bowl combine collectively coconut oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla till nicely mixed; subsequent fold in shredded carrots. Add in flour combination and blend with a picket spoon till simply mixed. Fold in oats, coconut, pecans, and raisins.
Use a small cookie scoop and drop by tablespoonful on ready baking sheet. Gently flatten together with your hand. Bake for 9/11 minutes or till golden brown across the edges. Cool cookies for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet earlier than transferring to a wire rack to complete cooling.
To make the glaze: Mix powdered sugar, almond milk and cinnamon in a bowl. Drizzle a tiny bit over cookies, then let dry. Makes about 18 cookies.
Be happy to go away out the raisins, pecans or coconut if you don’t desire them. You can too substitute any nut or dried fruit.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Substitute egg with half a big banana or a flax egg.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: I like to recommend an all objective GF flour for the entire wheat. You can too strive chickpea flour.
You can too use 1/4 cup of melted butter as a substitute of coconut oil for those who aren’t dairy free and like to bake with butter.
Be happy to sub brown sugar with coconut sugar or with maple syrup. Word that for those who use maple syrup your cookies will probably be extra cake-like.
Should you like cream cheese (and are not DF), strive including a heaping tablespoon of softened cream cheese to the glaze earlier than you combine it up; it makes the glaze tremendous creamy and scrumptious!
Servings: 18 cookies
Serving dimension: 1 cookie
This publish was initially revealed on Might eighth, 2018, and republished on April seventh, 2022.