Throughout elementary college, my Mother and Dad would typically overlook to place lunch cash into my account. So on the times I couldn’t get a scorching lunch, the lunch women would provide me a easy tuna sandwich. Again then, I really despised tuna so I’d skip the sandwich and go hungry till I might get house and stuff my face with one in all Dad’s scrumptious turkey sandwiches. Unhappy, however true.
I look again on this reminiscence and take into consideration how I want I had the style buds of an grownup as a toddler as a result of nowadays I discover myself LOVING tuna. From honey mustard apple tuna salad to jalapeño cheddar tuna melts, I can’t get sufficient of the cheap, protein-packed wonderful taste that tuna brings to meals.
A few years again my bestie and I have been speaking about conventional recipes that we had rising up that could possibly be made slightly bit higher for you. She recommended that I make a wholesome tuna noodle casserole, as that was one in all her favorites rising up. So I gathered up my reusable luggage, headed to Dealer Joe’s, threw round my tiny pink cart like a girl on a mission and stuffed it to the brim with plantain chips (hello, I’m obsessed) and scrumptious substances for this wholesome tuna noodle casserole.
What’s in tuna noodle casserole?
Should you haven’t had tuna noodle casserole earlier than, then you definitely is perhaps questioning what the heck it’s. Conventional tuna noodle casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup, egg noodles, peas and naturally tuna. Most individuals prime it with breadcrumbs and even potato chips for a crunchy topping. It’s creamy, savory, and completely scrumptious!
Every little thing you’ll have to make a more healthy tuna noodle casserole
I say, why not make tuna noodle casserole from scratch with higher for you substances? My recipe is more healthy, customizable and doesn’t contain any canned soup. Plus it’s EASY! To make this wholesome tuna noodle casserole recipe, listed here are the substances you’ll want:
- Pasta: be at liberty to make use of any type of noodles you’d like. I desire shells, giant elbow noodles, or bowties for this recipe. If you’re gluten free, please be at liberty to make use of your favourite gluten free noodles.
- Butter: slightly goes a good distance in serving to taste and break down the onions and mushrooms, but additionally to make a slurry parmesan gravy sauce to coat all of the pasta
- Veggies: we’re including white or yellow onions (I discover that white onions are finest on this recipe), sliced child bella mushrooms, and peas on this recipe.
- Herbs & spices: you’ll additionally want garlic powder and thyme, which creates a tremendous depth of taste and savoriness on this recipe.
- Flour: you should use all function flour, complete wheat flour or an all function gluten free flour within the sauce. Coconut flour and almond flour is not going to work.
- Milk: you may have the choice of utilizing no matter milk you’d like. I’ve solely examined this recipe with unsweetened almond milk, however I believe skim milk or unsweetened cashew milk would work effectively.
- Cheese: parmesan cheese creates the right quantity of sharp taste melted into the sauce.
- Tuna: you’ll want two cans of tuna for this recipe. Be sure to drain the cans earlier than including the tuna to the casserole!
- Breadcrumbs: I nonetheless saved the scrumptious crunchy topping as a result of who doesn’t love a superb crunch? If you’re gluten free, be at liberty to make use of gluten free breadcrumbs, gluten free potato chips which were crushed up, or gluten free crushed crackers (Easy Mills crackers can be delish!).
Doesn’t it look down proper FABULOUS? I used to be so elated about this tuna noodle casserole that I just about saved your entire pan to myself for your entire week, I reheated leftovers for lunch and dinner and devoured up each final chew.
SO FREAKING GOOD. AND CREAMY. AND SAVORY. AND HOMEMADE! AND HEALTHY too. What extra might you need?!
Customise your tuna noodle casserole
This straightforward tuna noodle casserole is nice for customizing to your style preferences as effectively! Right here’s what I can suggest:
- Select your veggies: in case you’re not a mushroom fan, be at liberty to skip and add one thing like inexperienced beans or spinach as an alternative. I believe peas are a MUST on this dish, however you too can skip them in case you’d like.
- Make it gluten free: be sure to do is use gluten free pasta noodles, gluten free all function flour and gluten free breadcrumbs (or substitute crushed up gluten free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers).
- Go dairy free: merely use vegan butter, a dairy free milk of selection and dairy free parmesan cheese.
Freezer-friendly tuna noodle casserole
That’s proper, this lightened up tuna noodle casserole is simple to make forward of time and freeze for later! If you wish to make this tuna noodle casserole forward of time, merely:
- Make the recipe as directed, besides don’t bake the casserole.
- Put the casserole right into a freezer container pan resembling these, cowl the container, then place it within the freezer till able to bake.
- As soon as able to bake, thaw out the casserole within the fridge in a single day. As soon as thawed, bake as directed!
Extra wonderful consolation meals
Get all of my scrumptious consolation meals recipes right here!
Should you make this wholesome tuna noodle casserole, you’ll want to charge the recipe under and depart a remark! You may also comply with me on Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen. Get pleasure from – xo!
Wholesome Tuna Noodle Casserole
Should you’re on the lookout for a wholesome tuna noodle casserole comprised of scratch, look no additional. This lightened up tuna noodle casserole is made with a creamy, however mild parmesan mushroom sauce, noodles, canned tuna and peas. You may fall in love with this straightforward dinner recipe that is sure to turn out to be a perpetually favourite!
dry pasta shells (or use rotini, fusilli, or no matter pasta you’d like)
white onion, diced
child bella mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to style
all function flour (or complete wheat flour or all function gluten free flour)
unsweetened almond milk (or cashew milk or common milk)
grated parmesan cheese
cans tuna, drained
- Salt and pepper, to style
- For the topping:
breadcrumbs, gluten free if desired
Preheat your oven to 350 levels Spray a 2-quart baking dish or 9×9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil or butter.
First boil the noodles till al dente, in accordance with the instructions on the package deal. As soon as finished cooking, drain and put aside.
Cook dinner your mushrooms: Place a big pot over medium-high warmth and add in 1 tablespoon butter. As soon as butter melts, add within the mushrooms, onions, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir often till mushrooms and onions are cooked down about 4-6 minutes. Switch to a bowl.
In the identical skillet you cooked mushrooms, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter is melted, whisk in slightly little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, slightly bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Carry combination to a boil, then cut back warmth and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring on occasion, till the sauce thickens up. If it will get too thick, add in ¼ cup extra milk.
As soon as thick, flip off the warmth and stir in garlic powder, parmesan cheese. salt and LOTS of freshly floor black pepper.
Stir in cooked noodles, mushroom and onion combination, drained tuna and peas. Season once more with salt and pepper, to style. Pour combination into your ready baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle breadcrumb combination on prime of casserole and bake for 20-Half-hour. Serves 6.
How you can make dairy free tuna noodle casserole: If you wish to make this tuna noodle casserole dairy free, I recommend utilizing vegan butter, a dairy free milk of selection and dairy free parmesan cheese.
How you can make gluten free tuna noodle casserole: This tuna noodle casserole can simply be made gluten free too! All you may want to ensure to do is use gluten free pasta noodles, a gluten free all function flour and gluten free breadcrumbs (or substitute crushed up gluten free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers).
Servings: 6 servings
Serving measurement: 1 serving (based mostly on 6)
Saturated fats: 6.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially revealed on September tenth, 2019, and republished on April 18th, 2022.