The COVID-19 pandemic has severely disrupted the dental care business.
Affected person volumes have fallen, and working prices have risen as dental places of work adjust to new an infection management practices. Ongoing surges of the virus exhibit that dentistry will face a turbulent atmosphere for the foreseeable future. And the pandemic has highlighted the failings of the standard fee-for-service reimbursement system that drives a care mannequin predicated on surgical interventions.
Amid this unsure time, in keeping with a current survey by the DentaQuest Partnership for Oral Well being Development, extra suppliers say they’re exploring or open to using revolutionary approaches to ship care extra safely.
The survey — and the companion report — reveals the rising willingness of dental suppliers who serve low-income and weak populations to make use of automobiles similar to telehealth and alternate fee fashions (APMs) to achieve extra sufferers, strengthen the security of care and improve their monetary sustainability.
Some key themes from the report:
- Telehealth can be utilized to boost entry and a dental workplace’s monetary sustainability via synchronous or asynchronous means. Shifting some sufferers to asynchronous visits could open up related workers and chair time for different sufferers.
- Telehealth advantages each sufferers and suppliers.
- For sufferers, technology-enabled care improves entry and permits folks extra weak to COVID-19 to obtain care with out leaving residence.
- For suppliers, teledentistry can decrease the hole between regular affected person volumes and people skilled because the COVID-19 pandemic endures.
- By aligning fee with desired affected person outcomes, various fee fashions supply a financially sustainable manner for dental suppliers to advance value-based care that focuses extra on prevention.
- The DentaQuest Partnership has outlined a Three Area Framework that advances affected person and supplier well-being, whereas decreasing the price burdens related to poor high quality of life as a consequence of oral illness. The Framework presents a brand new mannequin of dentistry, a roadmap for future care that will likely be cost-effective, environment friendly and extra equitable.
Learn the complete survey report, “Reshaping Dentistry in Turbulent Instances.”
ppLoadLater.placeholderFBSDK = ppLoadLater.placeholderFBSDK.be part of("n");